Last week USD kept strengthening against the basket of world currencies.
The USD Index (#DX) set the new annual maximums.
The EUR is under pressure after the ECB meeting.
The regulator, as expected, left the fundamental parameters of the monetary policy at the same level.
ECB also updated their forecasts on the EU economic growth in 2018-2019 for the worse.
Mario Draghi pointed out that it was done due to lessening demand for export wares.
Other reasons were the geopolitical factors, protectionism threats, and financial markets volatility.
Investors are waiting for the Federal Reserve, Bank of Japan, and Bank of England meetings.
In the upcoming trading week, we recommend paying attention to the following macroeconomic events.
Monday, December 17th
On Monday, the financial market participants will be watching for an EU inflation report set to drop at 12:00 (GMT+2:00).
Tuesday, December 18th
On Tuesday, the investors will be evaluating:
- RBA Meeting Minutes – 02:30 (GMT+2:00);
- German IFO Business Climate Index – 11:00 (GMT+2:00);
- US Housing Starts – 15:30 (GMT+2:00).
Wednesday, December 19th
On Wednesday, the key event will be the Federal Reserve meeting in the US.
It is expected the regulator will increase the key interest range by 25 basis points up to 2.25%-2.50%.
Keep an eye on the comments and rhetorics by the Central Bank representatives regarding the further state of the monetary policy.
The News Feed for 19/12/2018:
- UK Consumer Price Index – 11:30 (GMT+2:00);
- Canadian Inflation Report – 15:30 (GMT+2:00);
- US Secondary Real Estate Market Sales Report – 17:00 (GMT+2:00);
- New Zealand GDP Report – 23:45 (GMT+2:00).
Thursday, December 20th
On Thursday, the Bank of Japan and the Bank of England will publish their decisions regarding the key interest rates.
The experts predict that both regulators will keep the fundamental parameters of their monetary policies.
Investors will also assess:
- Australian Employment Change Report – 02:30 (GMT+2:00);
- Core Retail Sales Report – 11:30 (GMT+2:00);
- Philadelphia Fed Manufacturing Index – 15:30 (GMT+2:00).
Friday, December 21st
On Friday, The trading week will close with the publication of several important reports:
- UK GDP Report – 11:30 (GMT+2:00);
- US Core Durable Goods Orders Report – 15:30 (GMT+2:00);
- US and Canada GDP Report – 15:30 (GMT+2:00).