Last week, the US dollar slightly changed against a basket of major currencies.
At the moment, the dollar index (#DX) is being traded at monthly highs.
The US government still has not worked, the shutdown continues.
Donald Trump will consider a bill to end the US government shutdown if it includes funds to build a wall on the border with Mexico.
The British pound has strengthened against the news that the Democratic Unionist Party of Northern Ireland intends to support the Brexit plan proposed by Theresa May next week.
On January 29, a vote on Theresa May’s Brexit plan B should take place.
In the upcoming trading week, we recommend paying attention to the following macroeconomic events.
Schedule of main Economic Events and News
Monday, January 28th
On Monday, the publication of important economic reports is not planned.
At 01:50 (GMT+2:00), monetary policy meeting minutes will be published in Japan.
Australian financial markets will be closed due to the holiday.
Tuesday, January 29th
On Tuesday, the news feed will be fairly calm:
- CB consumer confidence index in the US at 17:00 (GMT+2:00);
- API weekly crude oil stock at 23:30 (GMT+2:00).
A vote on the Brexit agreement should be held in the UK Parliament.
Wednesday, January 30th
On Wednesday, investors will assess the following economic reports:
- Consumer price index in Australia at 02:30 (GMT+2:00);
- ADP nonfarm employment change at 15:15 (GMT+2:00);
- The US GDP data at 15:30 (GMT+2:00);
- Pending home sales index in the US at 17:00 (GMT+2:00);
- Crude oil inventories in the US at 17:30 (GMT+2:00);
- Fed interest rate decision at 21:00 (GMT+2:00).
Thursday, January 31st
On Thursday, we expect important statistics:
- Manufacturing PMI in China at 03:00 (GMT+2:00);
- German unemployment change at 10:55 (GMT+2:00);
- Eurozone GDP data at 12:00 (GMT+2:00);
- Canada GDP data at 15:30 (GMT+2:00).
Friday, February 1st
On Friday, a report on the US labor market for January will be the key event, at 15:30 (GMT+2:00).
Important statistics will also be published:
- Caixin manufacturing PMI in China at 03:45 (GMT+2:00);
- German manufacturing PMI at 10:55 (GMT+2:00);
- Manufacturing PMI in the UK at 11:30 (GMT+2:00);
- Consumer price index in the Eurozone at 12:00 (GMT+2:00);
- ISM manufacturing PMI in the US at 17:00 (GMT+2:00);
- US Baker Hughes total rig count at 20:00 (GMT+2:00).